1/1 Photo of Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble
The crumble is the British version of the American crisp. This one features the classic combination of tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries, topped with a crunchy oat-and-hazelnut streusel. A scoop of ice cream is the perfect finishing touch. Originally by Tamasin Day-Lewis and taken from Bon Appetit - May 2010 for ZWT.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large pinch salt
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup husked hazelnuts, toasted, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 lb strawberry, hulled, halved (about 4 cups)
- 12 ounces rhubarb, ends trimmed, stalks cut crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick pieces (preferably bright red)
- vanilla ice cream
- 1Combine flour, 2/3 cup sugar, and salt in medium bowl; whisk to blend. Add butter; rub in with fingertips until mixture sticks together in clumps. Mix in oats and nuts. (DO AHEAD: Topping can be made 1 day ahead.) Cover and chill.
- 2Preheat oven to 375°F
- 3Butter 11x7x2-inch glass baking dish.
- 4Place 1/2 cup sugar in large bowl.
- 5Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; whisk to blend well.
- 6Add strawberries and rhubarb to sugar in bowl; toss to coat well.
- 7Scrape fruit filling into prepared baking dish.
- 8Sprinkle oat topping evenly over filling.
- 9Bake crumble until filling bubbles thickly and topping is crisp, about 45 minutes.
- 10Let cool 15 minutes. Spoon warm crumble into bowls. Serve with ice cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Strawberry and Rhubarb Crumble
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 282.8
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 22.9 mg
- Sodium 4.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 20.3 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: