Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I had a lot of Rainier cherries that needed to be used right away and some strawberries in the freezer that I thought would help them make a great jam - and it did! This jam is now one of my kids favorites! I used really sweet Strawberries, so if your strawberries aren't as sweet you might want to add more sugar. Prep time doesn't include direction 1 (time to thaw strawberries and pit cherries - I usually do that the night before).
- 5 cups rainier cherries
- 3 cups frozen strawberries, I'm sure sweet fresh ones could also be used
- 6 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 3⁄4 ounces fruit pectin
- Thaw out frozen strawberries. Clean and pit cherries.
- Blend strawberries and cherries in a food processor.
- Pour mixture and lemon juice in 6-8 qt saucepan. Whisk in fruit pectin and sugar. Bring to a rolling boil over med-high heat, stirring constantly for about 20 or more minutes until jam is at desired thickness (though remember it will thicken up more once the jam cools).
- Ladle into prepared 1/2 pint jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.
- Lid jars and place into boiling canner. Boil jars for 10 minutes.
- Remove jars from boiler and let them cool for 24 hours for a good seal.
I'm a big fan of both cherries & strawberries, so the making of this recipe was right up my alley! Absolutely enjoyed making this great tasting jam, & I actually made a 2nd batch to use as a special addition to my Yuletide baskets ~ A very nice change from my usual cranberry offerings! Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe! [Made & reviewed in Newest Zaar tag]