Recipe by ozzygirl
This is delightful...rave reviews for it. I obtained it from a Womans Day magazine.
- 3⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 cups pears, peeled and diced
- 250 g strawberries, quartered
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 125 g butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- heavy cream or ice cream, to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to moderate (180). Lightly grease a 4 cup ovenproof baking dish.
- Place 1/4 cup of the sugar, the cornflour and 100ml water in a saucepan and stir to combine. Add the pear, place over a medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until pear is tender. Remove from heat and stir through the strawberries.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, add remaining sugar and stir to combine. Whisk together the milk, butter, egg and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until smooth and combined.
- Set aside 3/4 cup of the fruit mixture. Spoon the rest of the fruit mixture over the base of the prepared dish.
- Carefully pour the batter evenly over the fruit, then spoon the set aside fruit mixture over the batter.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Serve with thick cream or ice cream.