Recipe by Chez Michelle
Wow! These are so delicious!! :) Make sure you drain your strawberries really well. The piping takes a few minutes to get used to .......but then it is easy. These are a hit! I have had several recipe requests :) Recipe is as written ;) Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis
Top Review by Katie-Did-It
I made these for a New Year's Eve party and they were a huge success! I got many compliments that they were the best cupcakes they'd ever had! The only issue I had was the icing was too thin and didn't act like normal icing. So drizzled it on top if the cupcakes more like a glaze. Not sure if that's the consistency it was supposed to be and I just had something else in mind, but either way it worked fine the way I did it and it was delicious!
- 1 French vanilla cake mix, like Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe French Vanilla cake
- 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup thawed and drained frozen strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, plus 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Special equipment: 1 muffin tin, piping bag.
- Make the cupcakes according to package instructions. Lightly grease the muffin tin and fill the batter almost to the rim of each muffin cup. Bake according to package directions and let cool. (Chef note: I did use paper wrappers and just put a slit in bottom prior to piping).
- In a food processor combine the mascarpone cheese, strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice. Process the mixture until smooth. Transfer the strawberry mixture to a pastry bag fitted with a small tip. Push the tip gently into the bottom of a cupcake and squeeze in the strawberry mixture until the cupcake plumps. Continue with the remaining cupcakes.
- In a small saucepan bring the 1/2 cup sugar, water, and vanilla extract to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved. In a medium bowl combine the vanilla syrup with the confectioner's sugar. Stir until smooth. Working quickly, use a rubber spatula spread the icing on the top of the cupcakes. If the icing begins to firm up, place in the microwave for a few seconds to warm up again.