Recipe by COOKGIRl
A recipe I found on mulberrycreek.com. Original recipe called for canned mandarin oranges and purple basil vinegar. Since it is almost impossible to find, I added fresh purple basil to the salad instead. For the kiwis, substitute mandarin oranges or fresh oranges if you wish.
- 5 -6 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, ribs sliced thinly on the diagonal, leaves minced
- 2 1⁄2 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup purple basil, cut into ribbons (can use regular standard basil if purple not available)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons raw sugar, to taste
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I omitted this)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix dressing ingredients in a non-reactive container. Chill.
- In a small skillet, cook almonds and sugar over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is melted and almonds are coated.
- Transfer almond mixture onto a sheet of waxed paper, let cool. Break almonds apart.
- Just before serving, combine the salad ingredients. (Note: to cut the basil leaves into ribbons, first stack the leaves one on top of the other, roll up tightly, then with a sharp knife cut thinly.).
- Drizzle salad with dressing and sprinkle with the candied almonds.