Recipe by alligirl
Pop! Cake mix and soda create a delicious strawberry-and-cream dessert. Taken from Betty Crocker website -- Posted for the Think Pink Event Oct. 09
Top Review by HokiesMom
Alli - Pop ! Yep pop them right into your mouth! Delicious cupcake - so very moist and tender. I made a homemade buttercream frosting for these this time and last night served with a few sliced strawberries on top (but of course by the time of photos this morning the strawberries were gone). I made 12 in heart shaped tins and received 10 in regular sized muffin pan (the hearts were a bit larger than a normal muffin tin). The flavor of the soda does not really appear within the cupcake but the appearance is so beautiful and serving with strawberries brings it all together. Made for your win in Tic Tac Toe 2011 event.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box white cake mix (calls for Betty Crocker Supermoist)
- 1 1⁄4 cups strawberry soda
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- red food coloring
- 1 (16 ounce) can cream cheese frosting
- 1⁄2 cup white candy sprinkles
- fresh strawberries, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans).
- Place paper baking cup in each of 24 regular-size muffin cups.
- Make and bake cake mix as directed on box for 24 cupcakes, substituting soda for the water and using oil and egg whites.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes; remove from pan to cooling rack.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Stir 1 or 2 drops food color into frosting.
- Frost cupcakes.
- In small resealable food-storage plastic bag, place sprinkles and 1 drop food color; seal bag.
- Gently shake and massage sprinkles until mixture is various shades of pink; sprinkle around edges of frosted cupcakes.
- Garnish with fresh strawberries, if desired.