Recipe by Chef at Heart
I was a judge at a BBQ tournament this weekend, and the final submission was a miscellaneous category, so this is one of the items I was given to taste. I don't have the actual recipe, however this is my version.
Top Review by Mom to 3 sweeties
I made this today for my husband and we liked it alot..The only problem I had was I ended up using 8 ounces of cream cheese so the filling would actually stick to the bread..Other than that it has a wonderful flavor and we will be making it again..Thanks for sharing...
- 1 loaf French bread, sliced 1-inch thick
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, granulated
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup strawberry, puree
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar (or enough to sprinkle over each sandwich)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla extract and cinnamon with a whisk; set aside.
- Combine softened cream cheese, granulated sugar, and strawberry puree with hand mixer. Set aside.
- Spread the strawberry filling in the middle of each slice. Dip each piece of bread into egg batter and place on a hot griddle. Cook each side until golden brown. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
- **Puree your own strawberries, and use sieve to remove seed, or substitute a good strawberry jam.
- You could also use raspberries or blueberries in place of the strawberries.
- You could also use rasberries or blueberries in place of the strawberries.