Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This heavenly combination of homemade brown sugar pudding, pound cake, fresh fruit, and sugared pecans is the perfect make-ahead party dessert. Chilling time 6 hours or overnight. Good Housekeeping's recipe.
BROWN SUGAR PUDDING
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons margarine or 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
CAKE and FRUIT
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1 cup strawberry, hulled and each cut lengthwise in half
- 3 medium ripe bananas, sliced (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3⁄4 cup pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup heavy cream or 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups strawberries
- PREPARE BROWN SUGAR PUDDING:.
- In medium bowl, with wire whisk, mix cornstarch and salt; gradually whisk in milk until blended.
- In 4-quart saucepan, heat sugar with margarine to boiling over medium heat, stirring frequently; boil 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk milk mixture into sugar mixture (the sugar mixture will harden).
- Increase heat to medium-high; cook until sugar mixture dissolves and mixture boils, stirring frequently.
- Boil 1 minute, stirring.
- Meanwhile, in another medium bowl, with wire whisk or fork, beat yolks lightly.
- While constantly beating with whisk, gradually pour about half of hot milk mixture into yolks.
- Pour yolk mixture back into milk mixture in saucepan, and cook over low heat, stirring, 2 minutes or until mixture thickens and reaches a temperature of at least 160ºF.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Stir in vanilla; set aside.
- ASSEMBLE TRIFLE:.
- With serrated knife, cut pound cake lengthwise in half, then crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- In 4-quart deep glass bowl or glass trifle dish, place 1 row of cake pieces, crust sides up, around side of bowl.
- Arrange cut strawberries, cut sides facing out, in a row above cake pieces.
- Place enough cake pieces in a layer to cover bottom of bowl.
- Pour 1 cup warm pudding over cake pieces; top with half of banana slices and 1 cup pudding.
- Place half of remaining cake pieces over pudding; top with 1 cup pudding and remaining banana slices.
- Top with 1 cup pudding, remaining cake pieces, and remaining pudding.
- Cover surface of pudding with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming.
- Refrigerate trifle 6 hours or overnight.
- PREPARE TOPPING:.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place pecans in 8- by 8-inch metal baking pan; bake 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In 1-quart saucepan, heat sugar with margarine to boiling over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add pecans to saucepan; stir to coat.
- Return pecans to same baking pan and arrange in even layer.
- Cool pecans completely in pan on wire rack.
- To serve, in small bowl, with mixer at medium speed, beat cream until stiff peaks form.
- Remove plastic wrap from trifle.
- Spoon whipped cream on trifle; top with whole strawberries and pecans.