Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Vegetarian frozen dessert recipe using tofu, strawberries, and bananas. Time does not include freezing.
- 10 ounces silken tofu, chopped
- 8 ounces strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar or 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- Blend the silken tofu, strawberries, banana, and caster sugar in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow cake pan and freeze until almost frozen.
- Remove from the freezer. Use a fork to roughly break up the mixture. Transfer to a large bowl and beat until it has a smooth texture.
- Pour the mixture evenly into a 6x10 inch loaf pan. Cover and refreeze, until firm. OR freeze the blended mixture in an ice cream machine until thick and creamy, and then store in a covered container in the frezer.
- Transfer to the refrigerator for about 30 minutes, to allow the ice to soften slightly before serving.
This is a great recipe if you are cooking for those who avoid dairy products. It's super easy to make and the banana and strawberry are great together. Another time I might also add a little lemon juice to the mix. Cautionary note, or why you should follow the instructions: On the morning I made this, I was unexpectedly called away. This meant I never got the opportunity to beat the semi frozen mixture at step 3. That said, I'm afraid I probably wouldn't have bothered to do this :-) as I don't normally rebeat ice cream mixtures when specified! In this case, the finished result was a bit ice crystal-y. I guess that's the difference between using tofu as opposed to yogurt or cream. Note to self, in future Mrs B, do what Annisette tells you!