Recipe by Debala
I got this recipe from Pampered Chef, and have used it to do a cooking show. Makes lovely, dainty, and delectable petite pastries which are embellished with quick "candied" orange zest. It's been awhile since I made these, so I don't remember how long it took to assemble, so the times might be off. If you come up with a different time, please let me know so I can update the times. **Cook's Tip: Sliced peaches or nectarines can be substituted for the strawberries, if desired.
- 0.5 (17 1/3 ounce) package puff pastry sheets, frozen (1 sheet-thawed)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, divided
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- 1 orange
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen whipped topping (thawed)
- 12 large strawberries, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Unfold pastry dough onto a large cooking stone.
- Coarsely grate half of the almonds.
- Combine grated almonds and half of the sugar; sprinkle evenly over surface of dough.
- Lightly press almond mixture into dough.
- Cut dough lengthwise into three strips; cut strips crosswise into four squares for a total of 12 squares.
- Separate squares evenly over surface of baking stone.
- Bake 16-18 minutes or until puffed and golden brown.
- Remove from baking stone; cool completely.
- Lightly toasted the almonds, then coarsely chop the almonds and set aside.
- Zest entire orange.
- Combine zest and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar; set aside.
- Whisk sour cream, powdered sugar and almond extract.
- Fold in whipped topping.
- Slice strawberries.
- Split open each pastry square; arrange half of the strawberries into bottom of each shell.
- Top each with about 2 heaping tablespoons of the filling and sprinkle with chopped almonds.
- Top with remaining sliced strawberries and sprinkle with sugared orange zest.
- Place tops of pastry shells over filling.
- Serve immediately.