Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
a beautiful fresh strawberry "pie", prep time includes time for cooling.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted thinly sliced almonds
- 1 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup almond paste
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 pint strawberry (hulled)
- 1⁄3 cup apple jelly
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread almonds in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake 5-7 minutes until lightly browned.
- Set aside to cool.
- Butter and flour a 9" round cake pan.
- Using a mixer at high speed beat the butter, sugar and almond paste until smooth, 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the mixer speed to low and add the eggs one at a time and then the egg yolk and vanilla.
- Beat until well combined.
- Add flour by 1/2 cups and beat until combined.
- Spread batter evenly in pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on rack for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and place on rack until completely cool.
- Trim as required to make top of cake completely level.
- Invert onto serving plate.
- Set aside a single strawberry (the best looking one).
- Slice the remaining strawberries into 1/4" slices.
- Melt the jelly over low heat.
- Brush 1/2 of the melted jelly over the top and sides of the cake.
- Press the almonds on the sides of the cake.
- Place the whole strawberry in the center of the cake.
- Starting at the outside edge of the cake, place the strawberry slices in overlapping circles around the whole strawberry.
- The entire top of the cake should be evenly covered in an attractive pattern.
- Brush strawberries with the remaining jelly.