Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is posted for the World Tour 2005 event. The source is a New Zealand web site, and was modified for posting.
- 5 ounces butter, softened (about 10 tbsp)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a large baking pan (approximately 8 X 12) with cooking/baking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Mix in flour, cinnamon and baking powder, and then the almonds. The dough should be crumbly but stick together when you squeeze it.
- Press half the mixture into the prepared baking pan. Place the jam onto this base, and spread it evenly with the back of a spoon, leaving a half-inch border of base around the edge. Sprinkle the remaining half of the mixture over the top of the jam, all the way to the edge; then press down to form the top layer.
- Bake for 25 - 30 minutes until the top is golden brown. Cool and slice into 2" square portions.
I really wasn't sure how to rate this one. The cookie part is plus 5 stars, but the filling was not good. I used Smuckers Strawberry Preserves for the filling. I did not like it and the color was not pretty at all. I really loved the cookie part though. I was eating the dough before it made it to the pan! I'd like to make the dough into cookies or blondies and maybe skip the filling. Or maybe make up some pie filling from real strawberries and rhubarb. DH said it was very plain and simple which he liked, just not the jam. Made and Reviewed for Photo Tag. Thanks! :)
A very simple and good recipe! Shortbread type cookie base, spread blueberry jam on one half and strawberry on the other, loved the crumble topping. Easy to make and great tasting!