Recipe by NcMysteryShopper
There is nothing better than baking with fresh strawberries. Fresh-picked strawberries and almond-flavored whipped cream make a mouthwatering filling for this special summertime cake roll dessert. This recipe is from Kim's New England Kitchen. You can make the cake ahead of time, refrigerate and fill an hour or so before serving. You can even freeze the unfilled cake roll for three to four weeks before using. Shaved chocolate or toasted sliced almonds are excellent as additional toppings.
Top Review by Dine & Dish
Oh my gosh.... this is soooooooooo good! We had a birthday party in Iowa this weekend and my mother in law is the queen of cake rolls, so I thought I'd take this recipe home to have her help me make it. We made it together, although it wasn't too difficult so I could have managed alone, but it's always nice to have a helper in the kitchen :) The cake roll was so good... moist and flavorful. We had fresh from the garden strawberries. Delicious! I can't wait to make this again! Oh... one more thing... it has a beautiful presentation! I wish I would have had my camera in Iowa with me because this makes a picture perfect dessert!
- 3 eggs
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 78.07 ml water
- 4.92 ml almond extract or 4.92 ml Amaretto
- 236.59 ml cake flour
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 473.18 ml sliced strawberries
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml confectioners' sugar
- 2.46 ml almond extract or 2.46 ml Amaretto
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line pan with aluminum foil and generously grease foil with margarine.
- Beat eggs in bowl at high speed for at least 5 minutes until thick and the color of lemons.
- Gradually add sugar, then reduce to low speed and add water and almond extract. Combine remaining dry ingredients and add to mixture slowly.
- Beat at low speed until batter is smooth.
- Pour into greased, foil-lined pan.
- Bake 12 to 15 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean; Remove immediately from pan and carefully invert onto towel that has been dusted abundantly with confectioners sugar; Carefully remove foil and trim any hard edges;Lightly dust cake bottom with additional powdered sugar.
- While still hot, carefully roll cake and towel to form a 10 1/2" roll and Cool 30-40 minutes on wire rack.
- While cake is cooling, slice strawberries and prepare almond whipped cream by beating remaining filling ingredients at medium speed until stiff.
- Unroll cake, remove towel, and spread cake with half of whipped cream.
- Arrange sliced strawberries on top and re-roll. Dust with powdered sugar, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about an hour before serving.
- Slice and top with additional whipped cream.
- Note: Chill bowl and beaters before preparing whipped cream filling.