Recipe by HokiesMom
A modified version of a coffee cake recipe I found in a TOH booklet. This uses fresh strawberries. I've never tried it with frozen strawberries so if you are using those I can't tell you how it will turn out. I love the addition of the cinnamon almond mixture to the flavors. The strawberry flavor is very subtle so please do not expect an overpowering flavor of strawberry. To glaze or not to glaze....that is your option LOL. When company is coming I glaze but for family I leave out those calories.
Top Review by JOY1998
I made this to take to work today. It was so delicious. I made it in a 13x9 pan and it worked out perfectly. I used regular sour cream. The almond flavor is really good! Also, I made a glaze with confectioner's sugar, milk and a little more almond extract. Thank you for posting this wonderful recipe.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs (or you can use the equivalent in egg substitute without a problem)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (if you prefer you can use vanilla extract instead)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped chunky (do not make them fine)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped almonds, toasted lightly
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and flour (or spray with non-stick) a 10 inch fluted tube pan (bundt pan).
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs and mix well.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda then add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream.
- Beat in the almond extract.
- Gently fold in the strawberries.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan.
- Combine the filling ingredients and sprinkle half over the batter.
- Top with remaining batter and then finish off with the filling.
- Bake at 350 F for 50-60 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes before removing from the pan to a wire rack. Then let cool completely before serving.
- To glaze or not to glaze -- that is up to you. Just make sure you use glaze after the cake has cooled completely. (1 c confectioner's sugar to 1-2 tbls of low fat milk).