Recipe by Starrynews
My mother gave me this recipe. The bread can be frozen.
Top Review by Mom2Rose
YUM!! I made this a couple weekends ago with fresh strawberries in MI that my daughter and I picked - huge hit!! I doubled the recipe and split the batter between 3 loaf pans - turned out awesome! We froze one and ate 2!! We made freezer jam too which my 9yr old slathered on the bread and gave it another 2 thumbs up!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup slivered almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9 x 5" large loaf pan.
- Cream together sugar and butter.
- Beat in egg yolks and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the strawberries to the butter mixture, and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, beat egg whites.
- Fold the beaten egg whites and almonds into the bread mixture.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the bread tests done to the poke test.