My mother gave me this recipe. The bread can be frozen.
Make and share this Strawberry Almond Bread recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9 x 5" large loaf pan.
- Cream together sugar and butter.
- Beat in egg yolks and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the strawberries to the butter mixture, and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl, beat egg whites.
- Fold the beaten egg whites and almonds into the bread mixture.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the bread tests done to the poke test.
YUM!! I made this a couple weekends ago with fresh strawberries in MI that my daughter and I picked - huge hit!! I doubled the recipe and split the batter between 3 loaf pans - turned out awesome! We froze one and ate 2!! We made freezer jam too which my 9yr old slathered on the bread and gave it another 2 thumbs up!
The taste is pure pleasure without doubt. I used fresh strawberries, thinly sliced. However there was no way that those berries were going to mix in according to the directions for me. I had to get out the processor and whizz to get it to come together which, of course, damaged the texture. I will certainly make this again this summer but I'll whizz the berries first and then add them as ask next time. I think that will make it perfect texture wise. Once the egg whites were folded in the batter looked much better but, sadly, the over mixing from the food pro was irreversible. I'm thinking of making a strawberry sandwich with a couple of slices using Cool Whip for the mayo on the bread. YUMMM :D
I haven't tasted the bread yet because I was only making it to use up some strawberries that were too mushy to eat. I froze the bread to take to a family reunion later this summer. It smelled good although I did have to bake it a little longer than specified. My only complaint at this point is that the middle fell badly and there is a grand canyon in the middle of the loaf. I hope it tastes better than it looks right now!