Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this on the internet - existentialmoo.com. Sounds really yummy. Something special enough to serve when you've got company or dinner party.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 saltine crackers (2 in. square)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- 6 cups strawberries, rinsed,hulled,and sliced
- 1 cup whipping cream, softly whipped
- 1⁄4 cup sugar, extra (to taste)
- Beat whites and cream of tartar with a mixer on high speed until whites are foamy in a large bowl.
- (make sure bowl is scrupulously clean, no grease) Mix 1 cup sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder.
- Beating on high speed, gradually add sugar mixture to whites.
- Continue beating until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- Crush crackers into pieces about 1/4 inch across.
- Fold crackers and walnuts gently into whites.
- Line 2 baking sheets, 12 by 15 inches each, with cooking parchment (or lightly oil nonstick baking sheets).
- Spoon meringue mixture in 8 equal mounds about 3 1/2 inches wide and well separated.
- Bake in a 300° oven until puffs are lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
- Let cool on pan about 10 minutes.
- With a spatula, transfer to racks to cool.
- If making ahead, package walnut puffs airtight and hold at room temperature up to 1 day.
- Mix strawberries and cream with sugar to taste and spoon onto the walnut puffs before serving.