Recipe by Manami
These looked so beautiful that I wanted to save them, where else? I want to serve these later in summer when we have an appreciation day for all our nursing staff! Everyday Food, June 2008.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups packed fresh mint leaves, and stems coarsely chopped, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 quart strawberry, hulled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄8 cup toasted chopped almonds or 1⁄8 cup toasted chopped macadamia nuts or 1⁄8 cup toasted chopped cashews
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar, mint, and 2 tablespoons water to a boil.
- Remove from heat; steep 15 minutes.
- Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup, pressing to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Discard solids.
- Let cool (makes about a cup).
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in cup of a syrup (store any remaining syrup); if needed, re-whip cream to stiffen.
- Starting with strawberries, spoon alternating layers of strawberries and cream into four serving glasses. (You can use martini glasses or champagne flutes.).
- Top each with a mint sprig and chopped toasted almonds (optional).
- *You can also use the mint syrup to sweeten iced tea or lemonade. For a bracing cocktail, add a splash to a glass filled with seltzer, vodka, and lemon.