Recipe by Manami
Bon Appetit, April 2005 edition. You can prepare the berries and the syrup ahead of time but toss together at the last minute. This too is a dish that we served for our Brunch for the adminstration.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender blossoms (make sure they are organic)
- 3 lbs strawberries, hulled, sliced (3 containers)
- creme fraiche or sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash 1/3 cup sugar and lemon peel in small bowl to blend well. (Lemon sugar can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.).
- Bring 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, honey, and lavender to boil in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lavender flavor is pronounced, about 3 minutes.
- Strain syrup into small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm syrup before continuing.).
- Place berries in large bowl.
- Pour warm syrup over berries; stir to coat.
- Divide berries and syrup among 8 bowls.
- Spoon crème fraîche over berries, sprinkle with lemon sugar, and serve immediately.