Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
Bon Appetit, April 2005 edition. You can prepare the berries and the syrup ahead of time but toss together at the last minute. This too is a dish that we served for our Brunch for the adminstration.
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons dried lavender blossoms (make sure they are organic)
- 3 lbs strawberries, hulled, sliced (3 containers)
- creme fraiche or sour cream
- Mash 1/3 cup sugar and lemon peel in small bowl to blend well. (Lemon sugar can be made 3 days ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.).
- Bring 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water, honey, and lavender to boil in heavy small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer until lavender flavor is pronounced, about 3 minutes.
- Strain syrup into small bowl. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Rewarm syrup before continuing.).
- Place berries in large bowl.
- Pour warm syrup over berries; stir to coat.
- Divide berries and syrup among 8 bowls.
- Spoon crème fraîche over berries, sprinkle with lemon sugar, and serve immediately.