Recipe by Leggy Peggy
This easy-to-make dessert will impress family and friends. It comes together in minutes, but everyone will think you slaved over it. Make the Kahlua cream a day or two ahead, so the flavors develop. The instructions here call for the berries to be roasted, but it is perfectly fine -- and totally delicious -- to simply stir the berry ingredients together and let them marinate in the fridge for a few hours before assembling.* I figure roast them in winter and refrigerate them in summer. The recipe can be easily halved or doubled. Created for RSC #10.
Top Review by Suzy-Q Cooks
This was EXACTLY what I was looking for. My DH and I eat totally sugar free, and this made for some very easy substitutions (including the maple syrup and the Kahlua) and it tastes absolutely wonderful. I opted not to roast the strawberries, but just served them marinated, topped with the roasted pecans and the Kahlua Cream. I can't say enough good things about this recipe. THANK YOU!!
- 8 ounces cream cheese (can be slightly reduced fat)
- 2 tablespoons Kahlua (or equivalent)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 -4 tablespoons brown sugar (satisfy your sweet tooth (I use 2)
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 8 cups strawberries, hulled
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup pecans, chopped and toasted (or more)
- 8 sprigs of fresh mint (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Kahlua cream, put the ingredients (except the heavy cream) in a food processor. Process until combined, scraping down sides as needed. Add the cream and process again briefly. Refrigerate until needed.
- If strawberries are different sizes, cut the largest ones in half. Otherwise leave whole.
- When you are ready to make the berries and pecans, preheat oven to 350 degrees. *If you decide not to roast the berries, you can stir the berry ingredients together and put them in the fridge to marinate for a few hours. and skip steps 5 and 6.
- Chop pecans. Spread them on a baking tray. Toast them in the oven for about 8 minutes. Cool.
- Put berries in an oven-proof pan (such as glass) on a sheet of baking paper. Sprinkle with castor sugar, maple syrup and balsamic vinegar. Stir well.
- Roast strawberries in oven for 15 minutes, shaking the pan or stirring every 5 minutes.
- Dish the berries into bowls and spoon over any pan juices. Serve immediately, topped with a good dollop of Kahlua cream. Garnish with toasted pecans. Add mint sprigs (if desired).