Recipe by Punky Julster
This one takes a couple hours because the strawberries have to soak up the cointreau, so allow enough time for that. If you don't want to whip your own whipped cream just use it from a can! This is from The Vancouver Sun Newspaper, 1996.
- 1 orange, for zest
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons water
- 4 tablespoons Cointreau liqueur or 4 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 4 cups strawberries, halved or quartered
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- powdered sugar, to sweeten the whipped cream to your taste
- 4 whole strawberries, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel wide strips of zest without the pith from orange and cut into very thin strips. (Put aside rest of orange for another use.).
- In small saucepan, combine granulated sugar and water; bring to the boil over high heat.
- Add orange zest; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let syrup cool; stir in liqueur.
- Put berries in bowl.
- Add syrup and orange zest; set aside for 2 hours.
- Whip cream and sweeten to taste with powdered sugar.
- Serve strawberries topped with whipped cream and garnished each serving with a whole strawberry.