Prep 3 hrs 15 mins
Cook 17 mins
And, finally, the perfect ending to your Mexcian-themed dinner or party. This requires some planning ahead, as it requires from 3 to 24 hours to chill. From Good Food Magazine May 1988.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean, split
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart strawberry, hulled
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Pour cream and milk into medium saucepan. Add vanilla bean and heat just to boiling.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in top of double boiler over simmering water 3-4 minutes. Slowly pour in hot cream mixture while whisking constantly. Add vanilla bean. Cook custard, stirring constantly, over simmering water until thermometer registers 170 degrees and custard is thick enough to coat back of spoon. Do not allow to boil.
- Strain custard through sieve into mixing bowl. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean into custard and discard pod. Stir in almond extract and salt. Let custard cool to room temperature, then refrigerate covered at least 3 hours or overnight.
- Just before serving, spoon custard into dessert bowls and arrange strawberries on top. Sprinkle with almonds and serve at once.