Recipe by JustJanS
I got this recipe from my daughter-in-law who got it from her mum, who got it for a friend and I plan to take it to my sister's for Christmas dinner. Don't like the sound of it? Great! More for me. Seriously, we had it last night and I could have eaten the whole dish on my own. This is one of those dishes that is made better by using good ingredients-our strawberries were fresh from the farm and beautiful!
- 2 punnets fresh strawberries
- 1⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch mint
- 2 oranges
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 300 ml double cream or 300 ml whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Cointreau liqueur
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse strawberries to remove any grit, cut tops off .
- Put strawberries into a bowl and sprinkle with icing sugar and pepper.
- Chop mint finely and add to strawberries and mix well.
- Add Cointreau to the strawberry mix, cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Zest oranges into a mortar & pestle, add the caster sugar and pound until a smooth orange sugar forms.
- Put 1/2 of this orange mix into a container, cover and place in the fridge until ready to serve. Place the other 1/2 and the cream into a bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Cover this and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, add the vinegar to the strawberries and mix together.
- Place the strawberries onto a long serving dish (straining the majority of the juice) and top with the cream mixture. Sprinkle the remainder of the orange sugar over the top of the cream – serve.