Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
I thought this was an interesting way to use strawberries for a light dessert. Recipe source: local newspaper
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup basil, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs strawberries (about 2 pints)
- 4 oranges
- Bring water and sugar to a boil and cook until clear and sugar is dissolved (2-3 minutes). Let syrup cool briefly and add basil. Set aside to steep and cool.
- Wash strawberries, removing and discarding caps and then cut into quarters (or sixths if you have huge berries).
- Cut away the orange peel from the oranges, and then cut oranges into sections.
- Put the strawberries and orange pieces (and orange juice) in a bowl. Toss. Pour syrup over fruit. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
You know a pancake recipe is yummy when you don't even need to put stuff on it. These were perfectly fluffy, dense, and flavorful. This will be our new staple.
I need to redo my review. This is fantastic! It actually lasted my husband and me three days, and it tasted better each day. I will certainly make it again.
This was very refreshing!I did add fresh ginger root & orange zest to the syrup. Thanks Ellie for a great recipe.