Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Strawberries and cream trifle is a lovely traditional English spring or summertime dessert of luscious fresh strawberries nestled amongst layers of sponge cake, sherry laced preserves, and fresh whipped cream arranged in a pretty glass trifle dish. If desired, add a layer of freshly prepared custard sauce Classic Custard Sauce. Delicious! A beautiful addition to the dessert table, or for a ladies luncheon or Afternoon Tea.
- 2 quarts ripe fresh strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced (with a few choice whole berries reserved)
- 4 cups cubed sponge cakes (pound cake, angel food cake, or lady fingers may be substituted)
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine (brandy or orange juice may be substituted)
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups prepared custard, sauce (optional, see Classic Custard Sauce)
- In a chilled bowl with chilled beaters, whip the cream until thickened. Beat in the sugar and the vanilla, continue beating until stiff peaks form. Do not over beat.
- In a large bowl, stir together the strawberry preserves with the sherry or brandy, stirring well to combine; gently stir in the strawberries.
- In a glass trifle dish or individual dessert dishes, alternately layer the strawberries mixture, cake cubes, whipped cream, and the custard sauce (if using).
- Top with whipped cream and decorate with several of the choicest berries.
- Serve immediately, or cover and chill until serving time. Best if eaten the same day.
Wonderful recipe. I made a cornstarch pudding. I used a white cake. My guests loved it. Thanks, ;)