Recipe by vitalev
I tried this one morning when I was out of blueberries (my usual favorite) and it is surprisingly good! I am posting it because, like me, I am sure not too many people would think to put strawberries in oatmeal, but it actually has become one of my favorite ways to eat oatmeal (a daily staple for me!) Also, fruit measurements are estimates, as I usually just use whatever I have.
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup milk (I prefer vanilla soymilk) or 1 cup soymilk (I prefer vanilla soymilk)
- 1⁄2 cup strawberry
- 1⁄2 banana (optional)
- sugar or artificial sweetener, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- Add milk to oats in a deep bowl and microwave 3-5 minutes, depending on your microwave wattage and desired thickness. Watch carefully so it doesn't spill over the sides!
- While oatmeal is cooking, wash and slice strawberries. Soft strawberries work well, so you may want to mash them a little bit, but that is up to you.
- When cereal is done, stir strawberries and sliced banana (if using) into oatmeal. If desired, add a little sugar or splenda.
- NOTE: It is also good with a little vanilla extract if you are using plain milk, just to give it some flavor. ALSO, You may need to re-heat oatmeal a little before eating if your strawberries cool it down too much.