Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Looking for that new dessert to wow a crowd? It's the one that you'll make over and over, and everyone asks for the recipe? Try this one, made easier with a cookie mix.
- 1 (17 1/2 ounce) packagebetty crocker sugar cookie mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white vanilla baking chips (6 oz)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 10 -12 drops red food coloring, if desired
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Spray bottom only of 15x10x1 or 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter and egg until soft dough forms.
- Press evenly in bottom of pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave baking chips uncovered on High 45 to 60 seconds or until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Stir in melted chips until blended.
- Spread mixture over crust.
- Refrigerate while making topping.
- In small bowl, crush 1 cup of the strawberries.
- In 2-quart saucepan, mix sugar and cornstarch.
- Stir in crushed strawberries and 1/3 cup water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in food color.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Gently stir in remaining 3 cups strawberries.
- Spoon topping over filling.
- Refrigerate 1 hour or until set; serve within 4 hours.
- Store covered in refrigerator.
This was a fabulous dessert! The flavor was divine and will be made often at my house. Made for French Tart's Rhapsody in Rouge! in the French forum.
I made this in a 9x13 pan, which left the crust just a little thick for my personal taste, but this is a very good dessert. After slicing the strawberries I put a layer of them over the filling. Instead of making a glaze I bought Strawberry glaze ( produce section) and poured it over the strawberries. Next time I will make it in a 15x10 pan. Thank you for sharing this lovely dessert.
This WAS exactly how wonderful you described, M2R, and my husband went back for seconds-something he doesn't do! I thought a dollop of whipped topping would add something extra but he said absolutely not-the dessert stands delicious by itself. I'm forwarding this recipe to my sister-her husband is a hs coach & this would be perfect for their gatherings! Thank you Mom2Rose for sharing! Anne