Recipe by Chef mariajane
This dessert is proof that cheesecake can be as unexpected as it is delicious. It's surprise comes when intense oven-roasted strawberries are folded into a blend of tangy mascarpone and cream cheese. The mixture is spread over a graham cracker crust and cover with a rich vanilla layer. The result will please on every level!! Another of Martha's Great recipes!!
- 1 lb strawberry, hulled
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 cup finely ground graham cracker
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 lb cream cheese, room temperature
- 13 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped, and reserved
- 8 1⁄4 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300°F Place strawberries in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with corn syrup, and toss gently to coat. Bake until syrup thickens and strawberries turn deep red and shrink slightly, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Trans strawberries and syrup to a medium bowl, and mash with a potato masher. Let cool completely.
- Raise oven temperature to 350°F Stir together graham crumbs, 3 tablespoons sugar and the melted butter in a small bowl. Press mixture in the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan to make an even layer. Bake until the crust is firm to the touch and has just darkened, about 10 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F Put cream cheese into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium-low speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl, then gradually add remaining cup of sugar, and the salt. Scrape down sides of bowl; add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of bowl, and mix in vanilla bean seeds and mascarpone until very creamy and no lumps remain, about 3 minutes. (Reserve vanilla bean for another use).
- Transfer 5 cups of cream cheese mixture to bowl with mashed strawberries; stir to combine. Pour strawberry-cream mixture on top of crust; smooth with an offset spatula. Carefully spoon dollops of plain cream cheese mixture on top, smoothing with an offset spatula.
- Wrap the exterior of the springform pan in 2 layers of foil. Set in a large roasting pan. Fill roasting pan halfway with boiling water halfway up sides of springform pan. bake cheesecake until set, about 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. Remove springform pan from water bath, and transfer to wire rack to cool. Refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours, or overnight.