Recipe by Sharlene~W
One of my own personal top 10. The "straw and hay" is the combination of fettucini and spinach noodles. Wonderfully tasty dish! From Family Circle magazine way back in the 80s.
Top Review by Bertha C.
When I prepared this dish, I didn't make the well as instructed in the recipe. I tossed the sauce mixture and noodles together. Very fast and easy to prepare. My family loved this tasty dish.
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash sage
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- boiling water
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 8 ounces spinach fettuccine
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium skillet, sauté onions and garlic in 1/4 cup butter until onion is golden.
- Stir in ham, mushrooms, basil, salt, nutmeg, sage, thyme and pepper; sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cream.
- Cook, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large deep skillet, melt remaining butter over low heat, blend in remaining 1/2 cup cream.
- Add pasta; toss lightly to coat with sauce.
- Add 1/2 ham and mushroom sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Toss thoroughly.
- Make a well in the center of the pasta; pour in remaining ham and mushroom sauce.
- Serve immediately.