Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
One of my own personal top 10. The "straw and hay" is the combination of fettucini and spinach noodles. Wonderfully tasty dish! From Family Circle magazine way back in the 80s.
- 2 chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter, divided
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 dash sage
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream, divided
- boiling water
- 8 ounces fettuccine pasta
- 8 ounces spinach fettuccine
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In medium skillet, sauté onions and garlic in 1/4 cup butter until onion is golden.
- Stir in ham, mushrooms, basil, salt, nutmeg, sage, thyme and pepper; sauté 3 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup cream.
- Cook, stirring until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large deep skillet, melt remaining butter over low heat, blend in remaining 1/2 cup cream.
- Add pasta; toss lightly to coat with sauce.
- Add 1/2 ham and mushroom sauce and Parmesan cheese.
- Toss thoroughly.
- Make a well in the center of the pasta; pour in remaining ham and mushroom sauce.
- Serve immediately.
When I prepared this dish, I didn't make the well as instructed in the recipe. I tossed the sauce mixture and noodles together. Very fast and easy to prepare. My family loved this tasty dish.
thanks for posting , this is a favorite dish I used to get at a chain restaurant in Fort Worth. I love this !!
A nice quick dish to prepare. I only used one onion and added some minced garlic and then tossed the whole thing together in the pot. Thanks for sharing this one!