Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A delicious breakfast treat I had at Parliament Cottage Bed and Breakfast in Niagara-on-the-Lake in Canada. Recipe is compliments of my hostess, Isabelle Parliamnent. The version I had was made with turkey.
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 lb smoked shaved ham or 3⁄4 lb turkey or 3⁄4 lb salmon
- 2 cups medium cheddar, grated
- 411 g frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 300 g packaged frozen chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 orange bell pepper, sliced thin
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Sauté shallots and garlic in butter for 4 minutes.
- Squeeze extra water from thawed spinach'til it is very dry.
- Mix together spinach, shallots and garlic.
- Roll out 2/3 of the puff pastry dough and line the prepared springform pan with it, letting pastry hang over the edge of the pan.
- Layer ham (or turkey or salmon), cheese, spinach mixture and peppers.
- Beat eggs, reserving 2 tbs, and pour the remainder over the peppers.
- Roll out the remaining puff pastry dough and place on top of the strata.
- Crimp the edges and seal.
- Cut slits in the top and brush with the reserved egg.
- Bake 45 minutes.
I've made this dish for brunch twice in the last month! My family likes ham, so made it with Black Forest ham. Very tasty and easy to put together. Thanks!
Made this last night, my husband loved it. I substituted crescent roll dough for the puff pastry and used one less egg. Great way to do something different with leftover turkey.