Recipe by D Rusak
What's better than cornbread with chili? Cooking your corn mash IN the chili. A vegan chili as hot as you like it, flavoured with beer. Okay, so I definitely made this up with whatever was left in my fridge, but it's a real winner. I used tofurky sun-dried tomato since that's what I had; I bet soyrizo would be awesome. I sacrificed a bottle of Brooklyn Brown Ale since that's what it takes. Please don't insult your pan (or your mouth) with lousy beer.
- 1⁄2 red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 ounces vegetarian sausages
- 15 ounces pinto beans, canned
- 12 ounces beer
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 16 ounces polenta
- hot sauce
- maple syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in a little bit of oil for 5-10 minutes. Add vegan sausage in slices or chunks and brown.
- Add beans and beer. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add peppers and tomatoes. Add polenta, breaking up into smaller pieces. Turn down heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add hot sauce to taste. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes, and mix in a splash of maple syrup right before serving.
- For Vegan make sure your vegetarian sausages are Vegan and contain no egg product or milk product. Some vegetarian sausages contain those products.