Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a delicious recipe that has never failed. It's so easy and what I like about it, is it's flavor continuity! I hope you'll like it too! For my diabetic friends, I've substituted "SPLENDA" for a sugar-free drink and found it still as delicious!
- 4 cups boiled hot water
- 1 cup sugar
- 8 tea bags (Red Rose or any Orange Pekoe Tea)
- 1 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 1 gallon jar
- Measure sugar and place in large mixing bowl with 1 cup lemon juice to disolve.
- Measure water and bring to a boil in a saucepan.
- Remove from heat and place tea bags in the pan to steep for no more than 5 minutes.
- Remove the bags and discard.
- DO NOT SQUEEZE tea bags (this crushes the leaves and releases the tanin which is bitter).
- Pour hot tea into sugar/lemon mixture and stir to mix well.
- Transfer into one gallon container and fill to the top with cold water.
- Refridgerate and serve over ice.
- optional lemon slices or mint leaves!
- Cool and refreshing.
Made this tonight, even though it is winter here in Australia. I really enjoy iced tea. Straightforward is what it is and it is great. Just how iced tea should be. Definite keeper.
Great tea. Used Twinnings Orange Pekoe as that was all I could find that seemed suitable here in Australia. 1 cup of lemon was a tad on the lemony side for me (and I LOVE lemon) however I did also try to drink this without any sugar... that idea lasted about one glass and now I add 1/2 cup of demerara sugar. After that the lemon was fine. I suggest adding the lemon 1/4 cup at a time until you find a level that suits your taste. Same goes for the sugar. Also, if you plan of added lemon slices to the tea I suggest cutting the lemon juice down by at least 1/4 cup.
Found this to be a very weak tea with to much lemon.