Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Like its name, it goes straight to your hips! A lovely chocolate cake which is adored by my family.
- 275 g self raising flour, sifted
- 225 g caster sugar
- 7.39 ml baking powder
- 200 g mayonnaise
- 59.16 ml cocoa powder, dissolved in
- 225 ml boiled water
- 4.92 ml vanilla essence
FOR THE FROSTING
- 175 g dark chocolate, with 70% cocoa solids broken into pieces
- 250 ml double cream
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, gas mark 4.
- Grease and greaseproof-paper line a 9 inch springform pan.
- Using an electric beater, beat together cake ingredients for about 2 minutes, until well combined. Spoon into pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes, until well-risen and when a skewer is inserted in the middle, comes out clean. Remove from heat. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- For Frosting:
- Place chocolate and cream in a saucepan and heat gently, stirring occasionally, until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5–10 minutes. Pour over cake and spread over top and sides. Leave until set.