Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
posted by request, this is the classic version adapted from gourmet magazine.
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons grated lemons, zest of
- 1 lemon, juice of
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 cup spinach, shredded
- parmesan cheese (to garnish)
- mix cornstarch and 1/4 c water, set aside.
- bring stock and remaining water to a boil in a saucepan.
- reduce heat and add zest, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- whisk in cornstarch mixture and stir 2-3 minutes, simmering.
- add egg in a slow stream, stirring with a spoon.
- add spinach return to boil, remove from heat.
- serve with grated parmesan cheese as a garnish.
This soup was very easily made and had a sprightly flavor that I very much enjoyed. The parmesan garnish added a nice salty contrast to the lemon. It was delicate, light and just perfect as a starter to our meal.
I personally did not care for the taste of this soup. The cornstarch gave it a cloudy color and the lemon flavor seemed out of place to me. It was just a personal preference thing.