Recipe by Sunshinealwz
Chicken soup from scratch is enhanced with spinach, Romano, rice and egg in this surprisingly easy soup. (Found on allrecipes.com)
- 3 lbs boneless skinless chicken
- 3 quarts water
- 11 carrots
- 6 stalks celery
- 2 onions
- 1⁄2 cup rice, uncooked
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup romano cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut up chicken into large pieces and place in a large soup pot with the water. Chop 8 carrots, 3 stalks of celery and 1 onion and place them in the pot as well. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes, until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and reserve stock. When cool enough to handle, cut meat into bite-size pieces.
- Process reserved stock in a blender or food processor or using an immersion blender and return it to the pot with the chicken meat. Chop the remaining 3 carrots, 3 stalks of celery and 1 onion and stir into the chicken mixture with the rice. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken mixture from heat and stir in spinach, Romano, salt, pepper, lemon juice and oregano. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Pour the eggs into the boiling broth, slowly, in a thin stream. Remove the broth from the heat and stir it into the chicken mixture. Serve hot.