Recipe by internetnut
I have not tried this recipe. I got the recipe from Remedy Health.
Top Review by ericaj
Couldn't wait to try this since I was addicted to stracciatella gelato in Italy. The base flavor is very good but it wouldn't harden up in the ice cream maker. I left it on for hours and no change in consistency. So I'm using it as a delicious base for milk shakes with other flavors!
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup powdered milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place a 1-quart freezer container in the freezer.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, powdered milk, vanilla and corn syrup, and bring to a boil. Whisk until the sugar and powdered milk have dissolved. Remove from the heat, pour into a bowl, and allow to cool—or chill in the refrigerator—until mixture is room temperature. Add the salt.
- Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Shortly before the gelato is ready, melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl at 50-percent power, or set in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, for about 2 minutes. Cool to 100 degrees F (tepid).
- When the gelato has reached the desired texture, drizzle in the chocolate in a very fine stream while continuing to run the machine. You can control the stream by using a spatula for the drizzling. If the stream is too thick or too fast, the chocolate will form into clumps instead of flecks.
- Transfer the gelato to the freezer container and freeze for at least 2 hours to firm up before serving.