1/1 Photo of Stovetop "Samoa" Rice Pudding
1 hr 15 mins
the mix'n vix'n's Note:
This is my take on my favorite cookie, rice pudding style :) You need 3 1/2 cups of liquid for this recipe so you can sub for all coconut milk or vanilla almond milk and make it vegan too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked rice, unsalted, cold
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1 cup caramel sauce, to drizzle (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup chocolate syrup, to drizzle (homemade or store bought)
- 1In a med-large sauce pan simmer rice, milk, coconut milk, sugar, and salt, uncovered, over moderate heat, stirring frequently (never leave unattended), until desired thickness occurs, about 40 minutes.
- 2Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and coconut extract.
- 3Add shredded coconut to a dry skillet, gently mixing so it wont burn. Will toast quickly so keep an eye on it. Once golden brown, remove from heat and immediately transfer, in a single layer, to a flat surface to cool.
- 4To assemble, start by drizzling about a tbsp of caramel sauce in the bottom of your serving cup. Spoon in pudding, leaving about a half an inch from top of cup. Top with toasted coconut, another drizzle of caramel and finish with a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
- 5Serve warm or cold. I'm always too impatient to wait, so I eat it as soon as it's cooled down enough so it doesn't burn my mouth -- almost LOL.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Stovetop "Samoa" Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 592.5
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 28.6 g
- Cholesterol 5.1 mg
- Sodium 285.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 71.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 19.3 g
- Protein 7.1 g