Recipe by philcohen89
The stove-top lasagna recipe that I found on here with modifications to make it kosher and to work with what I had on hand/could afford last minute. I went dairy, not meat, because what's lasagna without cheese. It uses ricotta salata instead of regular ricotta because my wife came back from the store with the wrong cheese. Turned out quite well.
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 6 ounces lasagna noodles, broken into 1 - 3 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 lb frozen spinach, thawed and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 3⁄4 cup ricotta salata, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine water, tomato paste and can of diced tomatoes in mixing bowl, mix well.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium until just hot. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently until just starting to brown. Add more oil if needed to prevent sticking, Add in garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add lasagna pieces, spinach, spices and previously combined sauce. Bring to low boil and cook covered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Take off heat when noodles are just shy of desired doneness.
- Add all of ricotta salata and 1/3 of mozzarella and mix until reasonably melted throughout. The ricotta salata may not melt completely or indeed much at all.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and let melt, covered, for 5 minutes.