Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Eating Well Magazine May/June 2011 - I deviated from the recipe slightly and it still turned out wonderfully. I used 1 cup green beans with 1 cup of mixed frozen bell peppers (added with the corn) and Queso Fresco instead of the Cotija
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces whole wheat angel hair pasta, broken into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups fresh green beans, in 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup corn, fresh or, frozen
- 1⁄2 dry oregano
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup Cotija cheese or 1⁄2 cup asiago cheese, shredded
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Heat 2 T oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add dry pasta pieces and cook, stirring, until toasted and browned in spots, 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 T oil to the pan and heat over medium. Add green beans, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the beans are beginning to soften, 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, corn and oregano and cook, stirring until the tomatoes are just beginning to break down, 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in broth and the toasted pasta; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once or twice until the pasta is tender and most of the broth is absorbed, about 10 minutes. (note: if it still seems soupy after the 10-minutes, turn to high, and boil off remaining liquid).
- Serve topped with cheese and scallions.