Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
To make chipotle puree, simply puree a jar or can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. It adds a pop of heat to this comforting dish. Adapted from a recipe at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/e6Pt3t
- 1⁄2 lb pasta shells, like conchiglie
- 8 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons pureed chipotle chiles
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups shredded American cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- Bring a large pot of salted water over high heat to a boil. Add pasta shells, and cook according to package directions until al dente. Drain, rinse with cold water and reserve pasta.
- In a large pot, whisk together evaporated milk and chipotle puree over medium-high heat. Bring just to a boil, immediately removing from heat upon boiling. Add 3 tablespoons melted butter, eggs, mustard, salt and pepper, and whisk together.
- Add the reserved pasta and cheeses. Over low heat, stir slowly for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese has melted and is incorporated with the pasta. Finish with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter. Serve.