Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
In Scotland, everybody's grandmother has a slightly different recipe for stoved potatoes (a/k/a "stovies"). This is one of countless variations, but it's my favourite.
- 1 -2 tablespoon bacon or 1 -2 tablespoon meat drippings
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 -6 large potatoes, cut in thick slices
- 1 swede, diced
- water (1/2 inch in pan)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup fine oatmeal
- Melt bacon or meat drippings in a saucepan.
- Sauté onions until golden but not brown.
- Add potato slices, diced swede, water, and salt.
- Cover tightly, and then simmer very gently until cooked.
- Shake occasionally (try not to stir) to avoid sticking.
- Check for readiness after ½ hour (may require up to 1 hour).
- If potatoes are new, add oatmeal when done.
- Cover, shake well, and leave 10 minutes off heat.
I had never used rutabagas before, but figured any recipe that starts with bacon grease has got to be pretty good. I served it to a small "party" of four (including me), and it almost stole the show!
Thanx Mille for a good and different potato dish. Next time I'll be smarter and do as you suggest: check for doneness at 1/2 hr. My potatoes were a little mushy after about 1 hr. DH and I will make again.