Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
In Scotland, everybody's grandmother has a slightly different recipe for stoved potatoes (a/k/a "stovies"). This is one of countless variations, but it's my favourite.
- Melt bacon or meat drippings in a saucepan.
- Sauté onions until golden but not brown.
- Add potato slices, diced swede, water, and salt.
- Cover tightly, and then simmer very gently until cooked.
- Shake occasionally (try not to stir) to avoid sticking.
- Check for readiness after ½ hour (may require up to 1 hour).
- If potatoes are new, add oatmeal when done.
- Cover, shake well, and leave 10 minutes off heat.