Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Was surfing, yes again! I was looking for some different bean dishes and this one caught my eye! American Dry Bean Board is where I found this - it is unlike any other White Chili and is great to make ahead and then serve the next day or week (freezes real well).
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon finely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 3 ounces mushrooms, cut into fourths
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 11 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 1⁄4 lbs canned white beans, such as navy or 1 1⁄4 lbs great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1⁄4 cups organic low sodium chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 bay leaf
- 3⁄4 small tomatoes
- 1 1⁄4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon green olives or 1 tablespoon black olives
- 1 teaspoon green olives or 1 teaspoon black olives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro or 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped cilantro or 1 teaspoon parsley
- guacamole (to be sreved on the side or set up as a Chili Bar)
- sour cream (to be served on the side or set up as a Chili Bar)
- salsa (to be served on the side or set up as a Chili Bar)
- corn tortilla strips (to be served on the side or set up as a Chili Bar)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- MAKE WHITE CHILI:.
- Spray large saucepan with cooking spray; heat over medium beat until hot.
- Sauté chopped onions, garlic, ginger root, and jalapeno chili 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, cook, covered, until mushrooms are wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add chicken, beans, chicken broth, and herbs; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf, season to taste with salt and white pepper.
- BASMATI RICE (To be cooked at the same time as the chili):.
- Bring water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
- Stir in rice and saffron and immediately reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes, covered.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Spoon chili into bowls; sprinkle each serving with tomato, green onion, olives and cilantro & serve with rice.
- To be served on the side or set up as a chili bar: chopped tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, salsa, tortilla strips, etc.