Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a quick and easy one-dish meal.
Make and share this Stove Top Tamale Pie recipe from Food.com.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium-high heat; drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce, beans, water and taco seasoning mix. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions. Drop small spoonfuls of muffin batter over meat mixture in a skillet.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat 15-17 minutes or until corn bread is done.
- Top with cheese and green onion. Cover and cook over low heat until cheese melts.
This was WONDERFUL!!! & was super easy too!
This is such an versitile recipe & is easily adaptable to whatever ingredients you have on hand. I added diced green chilies & chopped onion to the ground beef as it browned. I substituted a can of Hot Chili beans in place of thre kidney beans & used a pkgt of chili seasoning instead of taco seasoning as I wanted to use it up.
Could also add some whole kernal corn. Topped the cooked cornbread with a half can of sliced black olives then the shredded cheese (use whatever you like....Mexican blend, sharp, etc.)
Oh, I omitted the green onions...OK, I forgot them :-}but my DH LOVED it & this's what counts!!!! He said to put a star by this recipe! How about I just put 5 STARS instead?!!!
This is going to be a regular at our house now & a very pleasant addition to our menus after 41 yrs of marriage. Thanks Fluffy!!!!!
Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/stove-top-tamale-pie-78897#ixzz1WcY7O2fl
First time I made this I used only the 1 can of tomato sauce and it was too dry. The second time I used 2 cans and it was much moister and everyone loved it.
Wow!!! Yum!! Instead of ground beef, I shredded the chicken off if a grocery rotisserie chicken and as suggested by another review, I used a full 15 oz can of sauce! Definitely a keeper!