Recipe by TxGriffLover
From the cookbook, "Smokin". In this simple recipe, a plump juicy salmon steak sits on top of tender white beans and sweet leeks. The beans and leeks are given a last minute zing with golden brown garlic and fresh parsley. This is perfect winter food-warm and cozy and incredibly easy. The beans are also excellent served with sea scallops or jumbo shrimp.
- 2 smoked salmon steaks or 2 smoked salmon fillets, 1 1/4-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, cleaned and sliced 1/2-inch thick (about 2 cups)
- kosher salt
- 1 (19 ounce) can cannellini beans or 1 (19 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or 4 tablespoons thin sliced scallions
Directions See How It's Made
- Smoke the salmon steaks over medium heat, using alder, cherry or maple using your stove top smoker. (see related recipe).
- While the salmon is smoking, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and butter in a large skillet until the butter is foaming.
- Stir in the leeks, season them lightly with salt and cook, stirring until they are wilted, about 4 minutes.
- Gently stir in the beans, toss a few times, and pour in the chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, adjust the heat to simmering and simmer, uncovered, until there is enough syrupy liquid left to generously coat the beans, about 8 minutes.
- If the salmon is done to your likeness before the beans are ready, remove the smoker from the heat and open the top an inch or two.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a very small skillet over medium-low heat.
- Scatter the garlic over the oil and cook, shaking the pan, until it is a very pale golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove immediately from the heat and stir in the parsley, then stir the whole thing into the beans.
- Taste the beans and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the beans between two warm shallow bowls.
- Top each with a piece of salmon and serve at once.