Prep 12 mins
Cook 12 mins
From the cookbook "Smokin". A staple of Italian-American restaurants, Clams Casino combines the salty tang of hard shell clams with sweet butter, smoky bacon and roasted red peppers. This recipe makes twice as much butter as you'll need for two dozen clams. Freeze the other half for your next batch of Clams Casino, or put a dollop on smoked Cod or Halibut fillets. Use maple, alder or cherry wood chips.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked until crisp, and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 24 littleneck clams, on the half shell smoked
- 1 tablespoon wood chips
- To make the casino butter, beat the butter, bacon, red pepper, parsley, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and black pepper together in a small bowl. The butter can be prepared up to three days in advance and refrigerated or frozen up to 1 month. Bring the butter to room temperature about 1 hour before smoking the clams. The butter should be very soft so it melts easily when spooned on the clams.
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 11-inch aluminum foil tray with an even 1/2-inch layer of rock salt.
- Nestle the clams on their half shells into the salt to keep them level during smoking.
- Set up the smoker using the wood chips and smoke the clams over medium heat until they are cooked through and tinged with brown, about 12 minutes, after closing the top.
- Remove the smoker lid and drop about 1/2 teaspoon of the butter onto each clam. Let them.
- sit a minute until the butter starts to melt, then transfer them carefully to serving plates or a warm platter. Serve immediately.
I made this recipe a few days ago. Very good ... I added some lemon juice sprinkled on top.
This looks like a recipe I have been searching for! My Estonian sis in laws Dad made these so thanks for posting! PS - Even if I don't gamble will I still end up with Casino Butt?