Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Don't panic, this isn't that hard and the effort will be well rewarded. Makes 1 dozen delightful treats. From the Cameron Cooking Guide, recipe to be made using a stove top smoker.
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄4 lb bacon (partially frozen and finely diced)
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons marjoram
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 tablespoon pepper
- 4 hog casings
- oak pecan, and apple wood chips
- puff pastry (Pepperidge Farm, available in most grocery stores)
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- Mix in a bowl the lamb, pork, bacon, egg, garlic, marjoram, salt and pepper.
- When well mixed, stuff into the casing and make into 3 1/2-inch sausages.
- Preheat smoker on medium heat and smoke the sausage for 15 minutes using 1/2 tablespoon each of oak, pecan and apple wood chips. Remove and chill (this can be done in advance).
- Cut pastry into 4-inch squares, place sausage in the center, and fold pastry over sausage and seal.
- Brush oil on cookie sheet and bake in preheated 425º oven for 15 minutes (until golden brown).
- Warm Dijon mustard and honey in a saucepan and serve with sausage cut into 1/2-inch pieces.