Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
For use with a Stove Top Smoker
- 12 chicken thighs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced mild green chilies
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (12 ounce) can mild enchilada sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 head lettuce
- 2 limes, quartered
- 18 flour tortillas
- Smoke chicken thighs for 30 minutes over medium heat using 2 tablespoons of mesquite wood chips.
- While the chicken is cooking, saute onion and green chilies in oil until onion is soft.Add broth and enchilada sauce and bring to boil then reduce heat.
- Remove the chicken to cool and rinse the smoker. Fill it with 1/2 inch of water and place the rack directly on the bottom of the pan (omit drip tray) and return the smoker to the stovetop on the lowest setting possible. separate the tortillas and randomly stack them on the rack and close the lid.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull the meat from the thighs and add it too the simmering mixture for 20 minutes. Shred the lettuce.
- To serve remove the warm tortillas from the smoker (they will have an earthy taste) spoon in chicken mixture and top with lettuce and a squeeze of lime.