Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great any time, particularly good on a campout on the camp stove, we have even done over an open fire, in a cast iron pot, a little ash never hurt. (the amount of salt has been corrected to 1 teaspoon, sorry it was a typo)
- 946.36 ml peeled diced potatoes
- 118.29 ml diced onion
- 4.92 ml salt
- 354.88 ml 2% low-fat milk
- 118.29 ml shredded cheddar cheese
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 59.14 ml bread or 59.14 ml cracker crumb
- Combine potatoes with onion, salt and milk in heavy frypan.
- Simmer covered for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle cheese, cayenne and crumbs over top.
- Continue cooking uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes.
These were excellent! A little salty, though, so I will decrease the salt by half next time. I didn't have shredded cheese thawed, so I put some American cheese slices on it, and it was a hit with my guys! This recipe fed my 4 family members (2 adults and 9 and 13 yr old boys), with no leftovers. If I fix it for company, I will double the recipe.
The first time I made this recipe, it boiled over, so the second time I used a larger pot and it was perfect. I added some carrot slices because I like the look. Wonderful recipe. Much easier than the oven baked.
WOW, is this ever decadent! Like Anu's, my potatoes were done in 15 minutes. I used all the salt called for, but decided to use Kosher instead of iodized after reading the comments. It wasn't too salty at all. I don't know what got into me