Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very versatile recipe. It calls for cream of mushroon soup but I make it with cream of chicken or cream of celery. It calls for mixed vegetables but I have made it with frozen corn, or green beans or peas. I use 2 boxes of stuffing mix because we like lots of stuffing.
- 1 (6 ounce) package Stove Top stuffing mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream (milk if you don't have sour cream)
- Set oven at 375F.
- Mix stuffing according to instructions and set aside (do not cook)
- Place chicken in 13X9 inch baking dish, or casserole dish.
- Top with vegetables.
- Mix soup and sour cream, pour over chicken.
- Top with stuffing Bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Make-Ahead: Assemble recipe as directed: cover.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- When ready to to serve, bake at 375F for 55 minutes or until chicken is done.
I won't rate this, because I had cooked chicken that I was using for another recipe, and ended up using this recipe instead (and used the cooked chicken). The taste was pretty good, but in following the instructions, I can't figure out what to do with the butter and water, since the recipe says follow package directions for the stuffing. For my tastes, I think doubling the sauce would make it better.
This ranks among the best of the many chicken casserole recipes I have made. The chicken bakes up moist and tender, but the best part is the crisp stuffing on top! The sauce with the vegetables and stuffing would make a good dish without the chicken! I used 5 breasts weighing about 1 3/4 lbs, and it did not cover the bottom of the 13X9 pan so I will use smaller pan next time. I also had to bake @ 45 minutes! I used cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and the Stove Top for Chicken. Thanks Dorel for such a great recipe!
So delicious! I made a couple of tweaks. I used a 20 ounce package of frozen broccoli over the chicken. I doubled the sauce, using one can of cream of broccoli and one can of cream of chicken. I doubled the stuffing. Am super happy that I doubled both! Also, I cooked for 45 minutes covered with aluminum foil then for another 20 minutes uncovered to get a little crunch on the top. My chicken breasts were pretty large so I had to adjust the cooking time accordingly. But at the end of the day, a delicious and relatively easy one dish meal to put on the table with great flavors. Super easy and comforting on a cooler night!!! Definitely will make again! Thank you!!!!