Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Stovetop scotch scones griddle from New Settlement Cookbook sent by Barbaja w. I like the change from being usual oven bake (New Settlement Cookbook)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (can reduce but not eliminate, needed to rise properly)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ginger (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
- butter (optional)
- honey (optional)
- Must have a griddle if want to be stovetop, but may also try 350°F oven (I don't know how long because I always use griddle).
- Sift together dry ingredients then cut in butter or lard. Make a hole in the center and pour in buttermilk.
- Stir until a soft dough mix. Roll out with rolling pin to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into squares and then fry on a hot greased griddle as if pancakes, but will be thicker.
- Brown both sides or a oven as mentioned above.
- Serve hot or cold with frosting or powdered sugar. I like butter alone.
I made these both ways yesterday morning for breakfast both on griddle and in oven.... found I like the oven the best also set oven at 375-400 and baked scones for appoximately 12 to 15 minutes check at 10 minutes as stove ovens will not all be the same..... served with strawberry perserves on them.....had enough for two breakfasts enjoy them so very much being on a very low sodium diet... could have 3 instead of two pieces of white bread
Gibberish, lassie, gibberish.