Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Kid and adult friendly low fat macaroni and cheese.
- 3 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- cooking spray
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs (italian or other seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 12 ounces large elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute or 1 egg, sightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated low-fat milk
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Place tomatoes in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with black pepper. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally.
- While tomatoes cook, Toss bread crumbs with melted butter. Sprinkle the crumbs on a baking sheet, and bake alongside the tomatoes for 12 minutes or until golden, stirring frequently.
- Cook macaroni in boiling water 7 minutes; drain. Return macaroni to pan; place over medium-low heat, do not heat any higher or cheese and sauce will get grainy. Add cheese and remaining ingredients; cook until cheese melts, stirring constantly.
- Remove tomatoes from the baking dish with a slotted spoon so as not to get too much extra liquid. Stir tomatoes into macaroni and cheese or serve along side.
- Sprinkle each serving with about 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs. Salt and pepper to taste.